Whale SENSE is a voluntary education and recognition program offered to commercial whale watching companies in the U.S. Atlantic and Alaska Regions. The program is sponsored by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and Whale and Dolphin Conservation. Developed in collaboration with the whale watching industry, Whale SENSE recognizes whale watching companies committed to responsible practices.
Participating companies agree to:
✔ Have all staff complete annual training and evaluation
✔ Complete annual stewardship project
✔ Ensure advertising follows responsible viewing practices
✔ Adhere to program criteria
✔ Feature Whale SENSE logo with current calendar year on website and vessels
See current year Whale SENSE participants here.
Whale SENSE and Related Programs
Whale SENSE in the News!
- How to choose a wildlife experience that does no harm | Washington Post, August 18, 2022
- Stellwagen Bank is New England’s whale-watching destination | Cape Cod Times, August 25, 2022
- Watching Whales Sensibly for Ten Years | NOAA Fisheries, June 26, 2019
- Whale SENSE mentioned in NOAA Fisheries FishNews e-newsletter | NOAA Fisheries, August 23, 2017
- NOAA’s Whale SENSE reaches one-year anniversary | Juneau Empire, April 29, 2016
- Whale SENSE Provides Best Practices to Local Whale Watching Fleets | CapeCod.com, May 17, 2016