Participating companies agree to have all of captains, naturalists, and guides take this annual training as a part of the Whale SENSE program. Training should be completed within one month of the start of your season.
If you’ve done the Whale SENSE training in the past, you’ll notice that it looks different this year. We are confident this new format will streamline the process for both whale watch companies and Whale SENSE coordinators in the long term. New features include:
- Increased flexibility. You can leave and come back to the training at any point. You can go at your own pace.
- Better progress monitoring. A progress bar will allow you to see how much more of each lesson you have to complete.
- More accountability with fewer steps. The Whale SENSE training evaluation is embedded directly into each lesson to eliminate the need to fill one out separately.
- Certificate of completion. This will be available to you at the course’s completion.
If successful this year, staff working for a Whale SENSE company for more than 3 years will be eligible for an abbreviated training in future years.
This training will cover:
- Background on what Whale SENSE is and its benefits to your company.
- Marine mammal conservation as it relates to whale watching.
- Responsible viewing practices and signs of disturbance from marine mammals
- Updates on whale research and conservation initiatives.
- Overview of Atlantic marine mammal species and behaviors.
- Effective conservation messaging strategies for whale watching interpreters.
KEEP AN EYE ON THE GREEN PROGRESS BAR.
100% COMPLETION IS REQUIRED.
A CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION WILL BE AVAILABLE ONCE THE TRAINING IS COMPLETED.
If you encounter any issues completing your training, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any links to external websites, print-outs, fact-sheets, or videos are for your reference and to supplement the information presented. You will not be evaluated on them. These references will also be available on the Resources section of the Whale SENSE website.