Whale SENSE is a voluntary education and recognition program offered to commercial whale watching companies in the U.S. Atlantic and Alaska Regions. The program is sponsored by NOAA Fisheries and Whale and Dolphin Conservation. Developed in collaboration with the whale watching industry, Whale SENSE recognizes whale watching companies committed to responsible practices.
Participating companies agree to:
- Stick to the regional whale watching guidelines.
- Educate naturalists, captains, and passengers to have SENSE while watching whales.
- Notify appropriate networks of whales in distress.
- Set an example for other boaters.
- Encourage ocean stewardship.
Upon successful completion of training and evaluation, Whale SENSE businesses receive materials identifying them as active Whale SENSE participants featuring the Whale SENSE logo and current calendar year.
Whale SENSE in the News!
- Whale SENSE mentioned in NOAA Fisheries FishNews e-newsletter August 23, 2017
- Whale SENSE Provides Best Practices to Local Whale Watching Fleets CapeCod.com. May 17, 2016
- Collaboration Key to New Right Whale Sign Campaign NOAA Northeast Fisheries Science Center. September 3, 2014
- Exploring Cape Cod’s Coast Vacations to America. July 2014
- Whale Watching Trip Turns into Successful International Whale Rescue. NOAA Fisheries. June 26, 2014.
- 6 Things You Should Know When Whale Watching. Clarke Reilly. Huffington Post. June 15, 2014
- Responsible whale watch program continues to expand along U.S. east coast. NOAA Fisheries Press Release. June 2014
- 5 New Whale Watches Join Whale SENSE. NOAA Fisheries Press Release, August 2013
- Responsible Whale Watching Program Reaches Milestone. NOAA Fisheries Press Release. June 2013
- Whale SENSE- the Smart Way to Whale Watch. NOAA Fisheries
- Responsible Whale Watching Program Protects Whales, Encourages Stewardship. NOAA Press Release. June 16, 2011
- Protecting Whales Focus of NOAA, Industry Program for Tour Boat Operators. NOAA Press Release. July 19, 2010
- “Program Sets Whale Watch Standards”. Cape Cod Times. July 23, 2010
- Whales Return to Stellwagen Bank! NOAA Press Release. April 28, 2010
- NOAA, Partners Launch Effort for Tour Operators to Protect Whales NOAA Press Release. September 10, 2009